Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
Updated March 11, 2020
The health of our patients, visitors, employees and physicians is our highest priority. We are working closely with the East Orange Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to respond to any potential coronavirus cases in our community.
Our hospital is following the latest CDC and public agency guidelines and are prepared to identify, isolate and treat patients who seek care at our facility. Our staff also has received additional training.
If you are experiencing respiratory symptoms, please call ahead. Please do not go directly to your doctor’s office, hospital emergency department or urgent care without calling first as many people can isolate at home without being evaluated in person (see additional guidance below).
Our emergency department telephone number is (973)266-8460.
In our emergency department, we ask all arriving patients about any recent international travel and if they have any symptoms consistent with COVID-19, such as fever, cough, or shortness of breath. Advise your healthcare provider if you have traveled to these affected countries.
What should I do if I am experiencing symptoms of coronavirus?
If you have symptoms consistent with COVID-19, follow the steps below to help prevent the disease from spreading to people in your home and community:
- Stay home if you are experiencing mild symptoms. You should restrict activities outside of your home, except for getting medical care.
- Contact your healthcare provider if your illness is worsening (i.e., difficulty breathing). Reach out to your healthcare provider by calling ahead. Tell your provider that you have or may have coronavirus-like symptoms so the staff can take steps to keep other patients from getting infected.
- If available, wear a face mask when you are around other people to help prevent the spread of the virus.
When should I seek medical care?
- If you are experiencing a severe medical emergency, such as shortness of breath, chest pain or altered mental status, please call 911 and request an ambulance.
- If you’re experiencing mild or moderate symptoms, call the doctor’s office, emergency department or urgent care first so the staff can provide you more information and/or be ready to isolate you upon arrival. You also can call the city’s department of health for further instructions at (973) 733-4402.
Where can I get more information?
To learn more the coronavirus, visit the CDC, World Health Organization and the City of East Orange Health & Human Services Agency websites.